OPTIMISM IN FEDERATION RANKS

Reports from the third annual convention of the National Student Federation are encouraging. This organization adopted as its chief aims at the time of its inception several years ago the fostering of a more thoughtful attitude among college students on college and national problems and the promotion of international good will, both tasks of a sufficiently loft and difficult nature. To the somewhat cynical observer, well acquainted with students and student inclinations, the chance of concrete achievement in either of these directions has seemed slight. The moulding of student thought and the furtherance of good feeling between nations through the medium of student opinion are endeavors of a vague and elusive nature; the instruments at the disposal of the Federation for the accomplishment of its ends, conventions and student councils, are far from sure or even well established.

And yet the report of O. A. Schlaikjer '31, concerning the latest N.S.F.A. conference, held in Nebraska during the past vacation, holds out much hope for eventual success for the efforts of the Federation. In its attempt to arouse interest about college-problems considerable progress, according to the report, has already been shown. True, some of the delegates were inclined to evince discouragement even in this, the most elementary part of the program, but on the whole the attitude of the representatives was one of optimism. As to the other points, concern for national problems and international peace, the reports of achievement are less definite, and one is led to the belief that these matters may require a little more time before results begin to appear.

The concluding note of the report, however, is one of decided optimism. The Harvard delegate, who may be considered in the light of an impartial observer, judges the work of the Federation as "quite worthwhile" and its aims as not too idealistic. And be it said again this is encouraging.