FIRE HALTS FINAL WORK ON REGISTER

Early Reports Indicate Possible Abandonment of Publication--Decision Likely Today

Fire which, according to press reports, caused $200,000 damage to the plant of the Van Dyke Printing Company of New Haven, Connecticut, and injured ten firemen early yesterday will lead to delay and possible abandonment of the publication of the Harvard University Register, it was learned last night.

The Register was nearing completion in the plant of the Van Dyke Company, and despite repeated efforts of the Editors to secure accurate information of the damage suffered by the volumes, it is believed from the meagre news obtainable that they were destroyed by the falling wall of the ruined building. When the exact amount of the damage is learned today, the Student Council and the Editors of the Register will probably decide their future course as to the publication of the book.

An hour after the night shift of workers had finished printing the Yale Daily New, also published by the Van Dyke Company, flames broke out on the ground floor of the printing plant and soon had enveloped the entire old structure, which is located at 123 Oliver Street. At the height of the configuration the side walls caved in under the weight of heavy machinery on the second floor and it is believed that only one wall remained standing when the blaze was finally extinguished through the combined efforts of every fire company in the city. Nine of the fire fighters injured were caught under the collapsing walls while the other one suffered from exposure.

The Editors of the Register had expected to announce its appearance within a day or two but because of this disaster, they will be forced to postpone the date of publication if the forms and sheets suffered only slight injury and will abandon it altogether if they find that they are destroyed. A definite announcement probably will be made today.