EMBOSSED

The fame of Newburyport, too long dependent on the colonial Lord Timothy Dexter for place in the hot white light, has relegated to the junkheap such prominence. Toll the bell for Lord Timothy, whose accomplishments were limited to the writing of a book, all the punctuation of which was in the last dozen or so pages, who sold warming pans at a profit in the West Indies, and who snatched from thin air a nobleman's title. The king who enjoyed a posthumous rule is dead, and the title of the new one is not "Sir", but "Bossy".

"Bossy" is the original apostle of progress. When the old shade trees of a colonial are in the way of a filling station site, they must come down. The world moves on, and those who obstrud its progress can be converted to boosterism in the manner of His Honor. He was arrested afterwards, but not before as he modestly acknowledged in his inaugural address, had, "bounced his first off the then Mayor's mug."

It is safe to say that were "Bossy" the mayor of Boston instead of Newburyport, the opinions of the notionary residents of Beacon Hill would not gain even an audience, if their petition were as it is now for the permanent erasure of the words of moving light that shine down upon the theatre district. The mayors amateur standing is as yet untainted by any connection with rotarianism. He maybe "the most oppressed man ever to seek this high office. "But no would be Menckens dare mock at him for, as his predecessor in office admits he has the right on his side.