THe STUDENT VOTER

In this morning's issue the CRIMSON publishes the first of a series of articles dealing with the laws in force in the various states in regard to the absentee voter. Inspection of these laws shows that in spite of more liberal emendations of the last few years most states still disqualify those citizens who can neither register nor vote in their home district. Since for the college student both of these occasions usually come at times that make it impossible for him to fulfil this requirement, his chances of exercising his electoral rights are small if he comes from a far-distant state. The results are peculiarly unfortunate both for him and for the country at large. Urged in his civics courses and from his reading of the daily press to do his duty as a citizen by voting, his first opportunities for so doing come at a time when they may well be lost, and with them the chance to form the habit while still impression able from such sources.

The scarcity of college graduates the political life of this-country has often been deplored. A situation such as this analysis shows to exist is scarcely one to encourage their interest in such matters. The fact that a man's business or studies compel him to be away from home on Election Day should not be enough to deprive him of the franchise, and the danger, from fraud is no greater when the ballot is sent by mail than when it is deposited in a box at the booths. Much progress has already been made in a steadily increasing number of states towards the elimination of this injustice, and before the next presidential election comes around it should be possible for every student of age at Harvard to indicate his choice.