EXCHANGE OF LAND IS CONTEMPLATED

Cambridge Needs Land for New Fire House University to Receive Plot in Front of Austin Hall

Negotiations are now under way between Mayor Quinn of the City of Cambridge and Harvard University for the ceding of the land now occupied by the Old Gymnasium to the City in exchange for the plot of land in front of Austin Hall, bounded on two sides by Holmes Place.

The Old Gymnasium, formerly known as the Rogers Building, is located southeast of Memorial Hall on a piece of land bounded by Broadway, Cambridge, and Quincy streets. The site was chosen by Fire Chief J. M. Casey as an ideal place for a fire station. Chief Casey stated yesterday that if the negotiations for the exchange of properties are carried through, the station will house a 60 foot hook and ladder, a hose wagon, and a pump engine.

Old Fire Station Condemned

The plan for erecting a fire station on the site of the Old Gymnasium originated when the Brattle Square fire station was condemned by building inspectors, and the Harvard Square business men objected to the permanent removal of the three pieces of apparatus to a distant station.

The Cambridge City council will vote on the proposed exchange of property on Tuesday afternoon. If the negotiations are completed, the event will mark the first time in the history of Harvard that a piece of land has been allowed to fall into the hands of an outsider.

Building Has Had Varied Use

The Old Gymnasium was built in 1860 from a gift of $8,000 by H. B. Rogers of the Class of 1822. When constructed, the gymnasium supplied the needs of the entire college; it soon proved to be inadequate, however, which is shown by the fact that the President of the College proposed building a larger structure, and converting the old one into a "swimming bath".

In 1894, after the Hemenway Gymnasium had been built, the Old Gymnasium was fitted out with laboratory equipment of the Engineering School. It has also been used as the Germanic Museum, storehouse, carpentry shop and paint shop. The building is now being used as a shipping depot of the University Press.