FIVE DEBATES PLANNED FOR HARVARD ORATORS

Swigert Announces Contests for Present Season--Mount Holyoke May be Met in Cambridge

League debates for the current season will get under way when the debaters representing Harvard will uphold the affirmative against Amherst on the subject, "Resolved: That the Economic prosperity of the United States is unfavorable to its morals", in Paine Hall on the evening of December 8. The negative Harvard team was to have gone to Vassar at this time, but the team from Poughkeepsie forfeited the match.

At the present time four other debates are on the Harvard schedule, two tentative. On February 23 a Harvard negative team will meet a Williams affirmative representation at Williams while the Crimson affirmative takes on the University of Pennsylvania in Cambridge. On March 23 the Brown orators engage with the Crimson in Paine Hall, Harvard's negatives travelling to Wesleyan. The annual Harvard-Yale-Princeton triangular debate will be held sometime in the middle of April.

The Chinese debate formerly announced for the near future has been called off because K. Kwong '29, who was to coach the Chinese team, has been forced to leave College because of bad health. Although no date is yet set for the event, it is expected that Mount Holyoke College will send a team to debate a group of Harvard speakers sometime during the winter.

Trials for the Amherst debate will take place in the New Lecture Hall at 3 o'clock Tuesday afternoon.