HOCKEY SQUAD IS REDUCED TO 23 MEN

Workout Sunday Held in Preparation for University Club Game--To Hold Session at 1 O'clock

The second, though probably not the final, cut of the University hockey, squad was announced last night by the Harvard Athletic Association. The cut, which was made at the close of practice on Thursday, reduced the squad to a total of 23 players, including five of last season's letter men.

It was also announced that a half hour of practice will be held at 1 o'clock tomorrow afternoon. This is believed to be a distinct innovation for although the team has been forced to hold practice at such times as 8 o'clock in the morning, no record can be found where the squad went on the ice on Sunday. The purpose of this extra session is to put the starting and substitute combinations in the best possible form for the second game of the season with the University Club Sextet on Monday night.

Thursday's practice session consisted mainly of a strenuous scrimmage. The substitutions were numerous and the variety of combinations, which worked out under the eyes of Coach Stubbs, was large. As a result of the showing made by the candidates 23 were retained. Besides the five lettermen who will be on hand Monday night for the clash with the strong University Club combination, most of the outstanding performers on last year's Freshman team will be in reserve.

The list of the men who were retained follows:

S. L. Batchelder '31, A. S. Bigelow '29, H. W. Bigelow '29, John Cross '31, W. L. Elkins '29, Harwood Ellis '31, H. D. Everett '31, H. W. Fuller '31, J. B. Garrison '31, F. R. G. Giddens '30, G. C. Holbrook '30, O. P. Jackson '29, Pliny Jewell, Jr. '31, C. B. Lakin '30, H. H. Newell '29, R. S. Ogden '31, F. M. Pruyn '31, E. T. Putnam '30, Sumner Putnam '31. R. L. Rideout '31, M. N. Stanley '30, John Tudor '29, and P. H. Watts '31.