NONE SO DEAF

In spite of the ratification of the Sunday Sports amendment by a vote of three to one in the City of Boston, the Common Council has just tabled a resolution to give effect to the mandate of the people as expressed at the polls. In Massachusetts, Blue Laws have always been in style, and the country members of the legislature have until this year succeeded in upholding the morals of the cities at least one day a week. But on November 6, by means of an initiative petition, the people of the state were at last able to declare their will. And now, when the Commonwealth permits the city of Boston to decide for itself whether its people shall debauch the Sabbath to the extent of going to see a ball game--the city fathers themselves forbid it.

Americans may be inclined to smile at the ways of polities in Mexico, where public opinion shifts with every duel. But here in politically-wise New England Massachusetts has supplied the nation with a Republican President; nevertheless in his party's year of triumph she votes for Al Smith and reelects Senator Walsh by a huge majority. She has close fights for the governorship, but in the legislature one party has an overwhelming majority. Today there is more of a fight between the Republican Mayor and the Republican Governor than between the two opposing parties in the election. Who will solve the mystery of Bay State polities? Perhaps it will be Mayor Gillis of Newburyport in a few years. Certainly public opinion, which Lord Bryce considered, the great force in American public life, does not seem to obtain results in Massachusetts.