INFORMAL INDOOR ATHLETIC FACILITIES TAXED TO LIMIT

Hemenway Gymnasium Most Popular Winter Resort

More men are engaging in informal intramural athletics in Harvard than ever before, it is shown by the statistics gathered by Wadsworth House in a surrey, conducted on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of last week. This surrey included Hemenway Gymnasium, the Big Tree Swimming Pool, the University Squash Courts, and the Freshman Athletic Building.

Hemenway led the list, with an average of 864 men per day. Its lead is accounted for by the great variety of sports which are played there. The popularity of squash during the winter months was shown by its daily average of 501 men, giving it second place. Although most of the Freshmen have lockers at Soldiers Field, the Freshman Athletic Building took third place with an average of 298 in attendance. The lack of swimming accommodations, which will soon be done away with by the new gymnasium, was evidenced by the small attendance of 136 men who used the Big Tree Swimming Pool each day.

Whereas, during the year 1926-27 the average daily attendance in all athletic departments of the University was only 1583, the average as complied from the statistics of last week's survey, was 1780.