To Start Construction on New Indoor Sports Plant Next Week

Basketball Courts to be Added to Swimming Pool Later on; Whole to Cost Million

Ground will be broken next week for the new million dollar gymnasium, although the Athletic Association at present has only enough funds to build the first three floors of the proposed four story structure, according to an announcement given out this morning by W. J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics. Eager to avail themselves of the money now on hand, and prompted by the pressing need for better facilities for indoor sports, the authorities have decided to take this step toward replacing the antiquated Hemenway Gymnasium.

According to the original, plans the building was to be a four story structure, bounded by South, Dunster, Winthrop and Holyoke streets, with the basement and first two floors containing for all indoor sports but basketball. The top story was to be a large open floor with room for three practice basketball courts, or one game court. Space was provided around the sides of this latter court for temporary stands which would seat 2,000 spectators.

$700,000 Already on Hand

Under the present plan of the committee the first three floors will be constructed in accordance with the original scheme, and if by the time of their completion, sufficient funds are not forthcoming from some alumnus or other friend of the college, to build the top floor, a temporary roof will be placed over the structure, leaving the construction of the basketball court until more funds are available. The committee feels that the need for the new swimming pool is too urgent to hold up the plans longer, since the funds on hand are already sufficient to complete that section of the building. At present $300,000 remains to be raised if the proposed plant is to be completed. Two annonymous donors have already provided $700,000 which is sufficient for all but the fourth floor of this athletic building which has long been one of the University's greatest needs.