MUKERJI DISCUSSES CONDITIONS IN INDIA

EMPHASIZES NEED OF MEDITATION IN LIFE

India in the midst of a revolution, social, political, and industrial, was the picture of his native country as described by Dhan Gopal Mukerji to a CRIMSON reporter last night. Mukerji is the author of several books depicting Indian life and philosophy, outstanding of which are "Caste and Outcast" and "A Son of Mother India Answers."

"The social revolution is manifest in the breaking down of the Caste system," pointed out the Indian writer, "and that overturning of the caste-system is the direct consequence of the industrial and economic revolution. At the top of the old caste system stood the Brahmins, followed by the princes, and then the various leyels of workers. But today with the stress upon the economic side of life, it is the millionaire and all rich men who form the highest caste, while below this group, trail the poor.

The last war brought about a number of changes, for in that period India took a long stride towards becoming an industrial nation, moving from a position as the twentieth industrial country in the world to the eighth largest, and this industrial change brought with it, as well as the changes in the social status, a new desire on the part of the people of India for political freedom so that they might control their own destinies."

Determined and serious is the attitude of Indian college students, Mukerji indicated, for they are continually thinking and discussing the social and political welfare and future developments of their country. The students do, of course, have their sports, such as football, but underneath all runs a serious attitude, and this attitude is in part enhanced by each student's undivided work, for after the age of 17. every boy has chosen his profession, and all his studies are viewed from the angle of his future profession or the ultimate welfare of India. Medicine, law, engineering, and business are the chief occupations of the college graduates.

Referring to the outcome of the gradual industrial development of India, Mukerji held the view that in the end, neither India nor the world at large could gain. "In 50 years," said he, "foreign countries can not expect to compete with the mass production of such a large population, and as for the natives themselves, India is a tropical country; why should her people work indoors when they are healthier and happier working outdoors?"

And as for the United States, the Oriental writer drew upon a custom of his own country for a solution, as he pointed out that "the trouble with America is that the people do not relax and meditate. Each person should forget his immediate worries for 20 minutes a day, and give himself up to a silent, restful consideration of the goal and purpose of life. Do you understand what I mean?" he asked. "Do not think; do not day-dream; meditate.