SIX OF 13 SPEAKERS ARE KEPT IN PASTEUR TRIALS

OUTLAWRY OF WAR IS SUBJECT OF POLEMICS

Six of 13 speakers were retained as a result of the preliminary trials for the Pasteur Medal, which were held in Sever 36 at 8 o'clock last night. The subject, as presented for discussion by Associate Professor L. J. A. Mercier, was: "Resolved, That Prime Minister Briand's proposal to the United States government to outlaw war should be accepted." Each speaker spoke for five minutes on either side of this question. The judges of the contest, Associate Professor Mercier, A. C. Sprague '21, and Associate Professor F. C. Packard '20, finally selected the following six speakers to compete in the final: C. C. Alpern '28, E. F. Clark Jr. '28, J. K. Hurd '30, James Roosevelt '30, R. C. Weaver '29, and Norman Winer '29.

These six men will compete in the final debate, which will take place on Thursday, March 1, in Paine Hall. Two sides will be picked for the final debate, and the Pasteur Medal will be awarded to the best speaker of the evening.

The Pasteur Medal was first given in 1898, by Baron Pierre de Coubertui, to be awarded annually thereafter to the successful candidate in a debate on a subject to be drawn from contemporary French politics, the trials to be conducted in English. The administration for awarding the prize is in the hands of the French Department of the University, which under the terms of the competition is at liberty to call in the aid of other instructors.