Next Academic Year Will See $100 Increase in Tuition Fee

These Prizes and Fellowships All Increased $100--Loan Funds Enlarged

Beginning with the next academic year the tuition fee for all new students in Harvard College and in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences will be $400, an increase of $100 over the present fee. This announcement was made last night by C. H. Moore '89, Dean of the Faculty of Arts' and Sciences.

The increased fee will correspond to that at other leading Eastern universities such as Yale, Dartmouth, Brown, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Williams, and Johns Hopkins. Princeton, however, has fixed its tuition at $450.

The causes that have made it necessary to take this action are to be found in the economic conditions that have prevailed since the war. The cost of education has gone up; and the gifts to Harvard do not produce enough additional income to meet the increased cost.

Arrangements have been made so that this increase in tuition may not bear too heavily on needy and able students. All scholarships and fellowships under the control of the University, when assigned to men subject to the new fee, will be increased by $100; and substantial additions will be made to the loan funds of Harvard College and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

Previous increases at Harvard have apparently had no effect on the character of the student body; students have continued to come from the same kinds of homes with the same variety of social, financial, and intellectual backgrounds as before; and more important still there has been no diminution in the number of applicants for admission.

It is expressly understood that no part of the increased revenue obtained from tuition will be used for buildings, but solely to maintain and improve instruction in the departments already existing.