FOOTBALL MEN INVADE GRIDIRON ON MARCH 19

BINGHAM EXPLAINS NEW PLAN OF APPOINTING OFFICIALS

With the outline of plans adopted by the Eastern Association for the Selection of Football Officials, came a statement yesterday from W. J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics, that spring football practice will open on March 19.

Coach Arnold Horween '20 will come East to take charge of the three weeks of sessions scheduled for the University gridiron candidates. His assistants have not yet been appointed, although an announcement of selections is expected soon.

Fundamentals and experiments with the new rules will occupy the opening practice sessions. In the closing days it is likely that the squad will taste some scrimmaging.

Bingham declared that the primary, purpose of the Association for Appointment of Football Officials was to reduce the expenses of officiating. "We feel that the game of football will be benefited in two ways by the new movement," he said. "First, the plan will stabilize one of the weakest points in the present game--the haphazard appointment of officials. Secondly, the Association will offer its services to small colleges at a nominal fee, and will continue to pay four-fifths of the total expenses of operating the organization."

Under the new plan all officials for games played by members of the Association will be appointed by W. R. Okeson, commissioner of the organization. They will be responsible to him alone, and not to the coaches as has been the case in past years. A list of eligible officials will be compiled at the next meeting of the Association, which will be held at the Harvard Club of New York