SCHOLASTIC INDIGESTION

With the American system of secondary education floundering about in a flood of adverse criticism and depreciation at the hands of contemporary critics, and, as might be expected, the European system enjoying a corresponding elevation in this country, it is interesting to learn that Great Britain's educators are by no means satisfied with the state of affairs in their secondary schools. It is charged that the cardinal vice there is the consistant cramming of students of 11 and 12 years of age in order that they may make the transition, from primary to secondary institutions, the latter being the place in which they begin to prepare for their higher education. Consequently a movement against cramming is under way in both England and Wales, as is indicated in a London protest.

The experience of American colleges with tutoring schools, and bureaus specializing in such cramming is warning enough that here is one feature of English education which is totally undesirable. There seems to be no greater evil than systematic cramming in the European usage, in this instance, analogous to the American custom. The effects on the college student are stultifying enough to enable one to imagine the mental inertia involved in submitting a plastic child to processes of intellectual indigestion similar to those obtained by patronizing a progressive tutoring school in this country.

In order to alleviate the situation in her secondary school it seems that England must employ new methods for awarding scholarships in the transition of her educational hierarchy. Character and general merit might at least be taken into consideration as regards a proportion of the students, while the joint authorities of both the primary and secondary schools could profitably unite in making out the examination for the rest of the students. The best children from every point of view should be given preference over those who merely have superficial preparation. American colleges through experience could recommend this policy.