SPORT BY PROXY

At this transition period of the year, when most winter sports have finished their season and overdue snowstorms still preclude thoughts of spring ones, the only outlet for the enthusiasms of the sport fan comes from the Southland, where the big league training camps hold forth. Day by day bulletins come north relating the smallest details of the home team's preparation for the season. Never do pennant prospects appear as bright as in March, when veteran pitchers stage comebacks and rookie shortstop develop into capable regulars without the least difficulty. But all is not sunshine for the team's supporters, for is not Vic Aldridge, one of the best pitchers in the league, still a holdout? Not until he settles his dispute with the treasurer over an increase in salary, will all be well again.

Just often enough to lend variety to these daily reports, word comes of a big trade. The great Hornsby is obtained by the sacrifice of three other players, and at once newspaper sporting editors break into violent print over the inevitable salvation or destruction caused the team by the deal. The argument goes on without results, and will continue to do so until that April, day when the teams return. Then facts replace theories and the crack of the bat announces the beginning of a new year. For spring has not really come until the mayor throws out the ball and the umpire shouts the first "Play Ball!"