UNIVERSITY OARSMEN TAKE TO ICY WATERS

Thirteen Shells Carry Class and 150-Pound Crews Onto Charles--Four Lettermen Among Candidates

Following in the wake of the Leviathan, which has been carrying Freshmen onto the Charles for several days, 13 shells of the University flotilla were launched on the Charles yesterday. Except for a brief row on January 13, the cruise marked the first venture of organized eights onto the river this year.

Seven class crews, picked at random, and six 150-pound boats comprised the fleet. Four veterans of last year's University eight which was victorious over Yale, reported, and were assigned to two separate 'crews. Captain John Watts '28, University stroke oar, was at stroke on Crew C. and F. A. Clark '29 was at No. 7 in the same boat. Crew D had W. G. Saltonstall '28 at stroke, with Guy Muchie '29 at No. 6.

Although the ice lined the Cambridge bank of the river and was piled in floes in the basin around the Weeks Memorial Bridge, a quarter of a mile of open water above the Newell Boat House gave the boats room for a good workout. Attempts have been made during the past week to keep the river open for the daily-passage of boats, but the severe weather has closed up each night the lane opened during the day.

Members of the Freshman crew squad have been working in relays on the Leviathan for the past week. It is expected that five 1931 shells will be launched on Monday.