PENNYPACKER HOME FROM JOURNEY THROUGH WEST

Chairman of Committee on Admission Extended Ambassadorial Tour as Far as Hawaii

Henry Pennypacker '88, chairman of the Faculty Committee on Admissions, has just returned from a trip of two months duration through the West and the Hawaiian Islands.

Mr. Pennypacker spoke in schools, to groups of principals, and to Harvard Clubs throughout the chief cities of the West. The main purpose of his trip was to make educators and students familiar with the entrance requirements of Harvard and other Eastern Universities.

"Harvard men throughout the West are keenly interested in the present activities of the University," was his statement when questioned about the enthusiasm among distant alumni. "Their questions dealt chiefly with the tutorial system, the recently inaugurated Reading Period, the enlargement of the Stadium, and the expansion of athletic facilities as exemplified by the proposed swimming pool and indoor athletic plant. They were especially interested in the present-day requirements for admission, with particular reference to what actual need exists for boys in distant communities to resort to Eastern preparatory schools in order to meet entrance requirements."