Mayor Quinn Reveals Secrets of Party Organization to Democratic Club-Discusses Presidential Candidates

Mayor Edward J. Quinn of Cambridge speaking before the Democratic Club at the Union last night, told anecdotes of his personal experiences with prominent men in public life and revealed the inner most secrets of party organization. He sized up the leading Presidential candidates of both parties, notably Hoover, Smith, Lowden Ritchie, and Walsh.

"The big business men will favor Smith in the Democratic party and Dawes in the Republican. The Republicans, although heartily approving the efficiency of the Hoove administration, fear that if Hoover is elected there will come a severe bureaucracy, which will tend to shutting out the business men. The attitude is God help Hoover's successor."

"Smith is accused of being wet, and he is I'm wet, I couldn't be wetter, yet I enforce the law in Cambridge. The same is true of Smith. He uses all the means at his disposal to enforce a law which should be enforced solely by the Federal authorities. Smith is greatly misunderstood in the South, because of the common belief of his attitude toward wetness. But his record as governor of New York should counteract this. It is an enviable record, in a state which was carried by Harding by 1,000,000 people and by Coolidge by half a million, that Smith, a Democrat should have been four times reelected governor.

"It is the independent vote that decides elections. In each of the 15 precincts in Cambridge. I have four or five personal friends who have lists of all the voters," said Mayor Quinn, striking a lighter vein. "I have them bring to the polls only certain men, and those men I know will vote for Quinn. But you can't do that in the state campaigns," he declared.