With All Due Applause

THE MAIL

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Accept my congratulations on your mail-bags of this morning and the other day. You have gloriously fulfilled the CRIMSON'S grand old motto. "Make a stink." Though the callowness and hyperbole in your anonymous communications will prevent their hurting the eminent young scholar against whom they were directed, they cannot fail to decrease his interest in teaching and in the course and to break down the feeling of close personal contact on which all successful teaching must rest. In addition, by thus twitting him in public on a matter in which he knows himself somewhat weak, you have done your best toward fortifying any tendency which might delay his progress in learning to teach.

In addition to these achievements, you have signalized in fitting manner the defeat of the proposal to give the Student Council authority to enforce good manners upon you; stolen a march on the Lampoon; and, if the last few, numbers of the Crime have received proper circulation. You have probably demonstrated to all the world that the day is past when Harvard men were gentlemen. With all due applause.   Wendell F. Fogg, 3G