CREW SQUAD GETS FIRST BIG SHIFT

Captain John Watts '28, James Lawrence '29, M. R. Brownell '30, and A. T. Gray '30 Now Strokes

The first shakeup in the University crew squad took place yesterday when Coach E. J. Brown '96 radically shifted the four boats which comprise the Crimson fleet. No cut in the squad was made, and three of the crews were rated as evenly as possible, with the fourth crew still ready to prove its equality with the first three.

Captain John Watts '28, James Lawrence '29, M. R. Brownell '30, and A. T. Gray '30 have been placed at stroke on the four eights. C. McK. Norton '29, who stroked the Junior University crew last year, has been placed at 3 on Brownell's crew for the present. He is out of action temporarily on account of illness. Of the other strokes, Watts' ability is a known quantity, and Lawrence is having his first college stroking experience, having rowed bow on the second crew last year. Brownell was at 6 on the Freshman boat after stroking one of the 1930 crews through April, and Gray rowed on the combination crew.

The steady west wind has raised mild havoc with Coach Brown's plans so far. The races that were scheduled to take place on the Basin last Saturday and Tuesday had to be confined to brushes on the short straight stretches upstream. One feature of the early season work has been the appearance of a number of Sophomores as strong candidates. In addition to Brownell and Gray, L. W. Dickey '30, Marshall Rawle '30, James Roosevelt '30, and A. A. Campbell '30 have shown possibilities. With four members of last year's eight in harness, with another quartet of former second crew in action, and with a small number of prospects from the class crews, the situation on the river is encouraging to Coach Brown. Further races this week and next will clarify this situation. The crews will be picked on April 14, after the spring vacation. All the oarsmen will be given a full week off during the holidays, breaking a precedent of several years.