SPIRITS OF YOUTH

For some reason not altogether clear, it has been found desirable to reintroduce prohibition into the New York public schools, as a subject for study. From the age of six pupils are to be instructed in the art, science or habit of prohibition. It seems that an education law of twenty-five years ago first made provision that prohibition should play a part in the life of every school child, to the obvious and praiseworthy end that he might become an intelligent and sober minded citizen.

The course of instruction is to be extremely thorough. A minimum of 300 hours of instruction every academic year will be given to each pupil, the courses being carefully graded, evidently to fit the needs of the child as he progresses through the elementary stages he is to learn in kindergarten into the intricacies of intermediate and advanced prohibition. At six he will be taught to avoid alcohol and tobacco. Having grown proficient at this, he is ready for a more detailed study. He is soon to be taught that cigarettes discolor the fingers and that whiskey makes noses read, which subject suggests laboratory work for that year. In due course he reaches the advanced courses to be given in the study of alcohol in relation to the city, the state, and the nation.

The law that first provided for school courses in prohibition seems to have lain dormant in recent years. Perhaps when the nation took up the subject it was thought unnecessary to continue the study in schools. At all events, if it is true, as reported, that unofficial dry agents moved for its continuance, their pessimism must rival that of the man who were both suspenders and belt.