MODEL ASSEMBLY ADOPTS DISARMAMENT PROPOSAL

AMES AND HUDSON ADDRESS BODY ASSEMBLED

On April seventh the League of Nations model Assembly at Amherst, representing 20 New England colleges, endorsed the recent Russian proposal for immediate and complete disarmament. The 225 delegates, voting by nations as in the League Assembly at Geneva, supported the Russian resolution by the close vote of 29 to 26. In addition, they endorsed by large majorities the resolutions for disarmament and tariff reduction which have been introduced at Geneva. Sir Herbert Ames and Manley O. Hudson addressed the gathering and plans were laid for another assembly next year.

The Russian resolution which was introduced in Russian by Miss Stella Eskin of Smith College, head of the Soviet observers, provides among other things for: the dissolution of all land, sea, and air forces: the abolition of military service, either compulsory, voluntary, or recruited; the scrapping of military plants; the prohibition of military propaganda; and the ratification of general conventions for arbitration.

The proposal was endorsed only after a spirited debate. The adoption may be taken as indicative of the strong anti-war spirit of the great majority of the delegates.

Dr. Arthur Stanley Pease, 'President of Amherst, opened the afternoon session with an address of welcome. The meeting was conducted in the manner of the League sessions at Geneva, with voting by countries and speeches in several different tongues, translated by interpreters