PROFESSOR BLAKE AND WIDENER

In assuming his new office as Director of Widener Library Professor Robert Pierpont Blake will find opening before him a field of activity almost unlimited in extent, whose importance to the University cannot be exaggerated. The flexibility of the academic system has brought and will continue to bring far-reaching changes in the policies of instruction. To keep the Library in tune with the changing times will be the major portion of the task confronting the new Director.

The establishment of a definite link between Widener and the libraries of various departments located in the outlying buildings would be of assistance to undergraduates who are often at a loss to find adequate reading facilities at a critical period. This link Professor Blake is planning to forge more strongly than it now exists. The libraries in Lawrence Hall, Emerson Hall, the New Fogg Museum, and even in the Union are a mystery to a surprising number of men in the College. Systematic explanation of these and other libraries, and of the aid which they offer to many fields of concentration, will be an invaluable contribution to the mechanics of the University.

By preliminary training and by his service to Harvard Professor Blake is fitted for his task. His own statement demonstrates that he is aware of the more important problems pressing for immediate attention. The CRIMSON congratulates Professor Blake on his appointment, and is confident that he will maintain the high standard of cooperation set by the Library in the past.