DEBATERS TO MEET MID-WESTERN TEAM

Pros and Cons of Baumes Law Will Be Argued--Trials for Harvard Team to Be Held Today

The question: "Resolved, That the principles of the Baumes Act of New York be enacted in the several states" will be argued with Northwestern University of Evanston, Illinois, on April 26 in the next to the last debate of the year.

Trials for this encounter will be held this afternoon in the New Lecture Hall at 2 o'clock. Although Harvard will uphold the negative side of the question in the debate, candidates for the team will prepare a five minute speech on either side of the question so that they will be acquainted more thoroughly with the various phases of the problem.

The Baumes Act, which has given rise to a great deal of discussion of late, provides among other things that a fourth conviction of felony automatically entail a life sentence. It is felt by a great many eminent jurists that there are individual cases for which an exception to this law could beneficially be made. The Baumes Act was passed in New York State in 1926 and has subsequently been adopted by several other states.

All members of the College and Engineering School are eligible for positions on the team.