ASK THEM ANOTHER

In an article in the current issue of the Harvard Alumni Bulletin, excerpts from which are printed elsewhere in these columns. Mr. Giles S. Rich,, recently graduated from the College, has done a valuable service in the way of a criticism and remedy for an acknowledged problem-the examination system in large course. He labels his study "The Quiz in Large Courses", that anathema to student and instructor alike. Appropriately enough he concentrates his attention on Freshmen and singles out History 1 to illustrate his case.

There seems to be little room left for anything but whole hearted approval after Mr. Giles has stated his objections to the present method of education and examination of the young. His criticism is well founded and his corrective suggestion would seem to obviate the fault. If there must be elementary survey courses, covering tremendous fields with the speed and inevitableness of an express train, then the journey should be conducted as intelligently as possible. To continue the figure, such courses would do well, to adopt Mr. Rich's plan in the cause of a better remembrance of the itinerary, breath taking and limited though it may be. The way stations are sometimes as worth while as the final destination.