COMMITTEE BENEFITS TWO GROUPS

Dormitory and Non-Dormitory Men Served in Medical School

Due to the exacting schedule of work which falls to the lot of every medical student, little time is left for extra-curricular activities. It has been the aim of the Medical School Society, therefore, to vary the daily routine of Medical School life by opportunities for recreation in the true sense of the word rather than to offer opportunities for further work in social and religious service, although the Society recognizes the value of such work and takes a census of each entering class with that in view.

The advent of the dormitory with its communal life has done away with the old Student's Room at the school which used to be the center of activity for the students and of service for the Phillips Brooks House Association. This has resulted in two major groups of students: those who live in the dormitory and those who do not. So far as possible the committee has tried to serve both groups. The temporary lounging room at the school for the students living outside has been provided with magazines so far as possible. At the dormitory, also, the committee has tried to fill any need which has arisen either in the daily routine or in the special social functions.

During the few days preceding the opening of school a bureau of information was maintained at the center of activity, near the Dean's Office.

The annual reception to the entering class was unavoidably delayed until the end of October, because there was no room available until the dormitory was completed. Dr. R. C. Cabot '89 and M. A. Cheek Jr. '26 addressed the men and afterwards smokes and refreshments were served. Only about half the class attended, probably due to the late date with the consequent threat of the first examinations hanging overhead games. W. T. Buddington 3M. Secretary.