P. B. H. Reports Student Activity

Committee Sent Teams to Nearby Communities

The function of the Deputations, Committee is two-fold: first, contacts are made with different agencies such as churches, schools and Y. M. C. A.'s, and a schedule of trips is drawn up for the year; second, representative men in college are made acquainted with the work and opportunity is given for them to take part. Friendship is the basis of these trips, but in addition there is a view to stimulating an interest in college, all around development, and Christian living.

Contact is made through three agencies: the preparatory schools, the Y. M. C. A's, and the churches. Of these, the churches have been most visited in past years. This year, however, the demand from them has been less than in past years, so that attention has been turned toward the preparatory schools and the Y. M. C. A.'s. It is felt that work with these agencies is more in line with the experiences of the average man in college and that probably in the future the emphasis will center on them rather than on churches.

The usual plan is for a team of three or four men to go out together over a week-end. During this time they take charge of meetings, give talks, and attempt to meet as many people as possible. All expenses are paid, and accommodations provided by the place visited.

This year 30 different men have taken part in nine deputations. These trips included: five church deputations, extended over the week-end; three preparatory school deputations, two for the week-end, one for a single evening; one deputation to a Y. M. C. A. banquet.

Last year 14 deputations were sent out to churches, one to a Y. M. C. A., and none to schools; 50 different men took part. The decrease in the number of trips to churches might have the following explanation; deputations have been sent to most of the churches which are interested. These don't want annual deputations. Besides, there is some question as to the value of a college deputation. College men are more nearly qualified to talk to boys at schools and Y. M. C. A.'s than to gatherings of older people in church.

The organizing and preparation of some of the trips was assisted by Gordon Huggins '29.  D. P. Tucker '28, Chairman.