CREWS HOLD RACES ON UPPER CHARLES

Lightweight Eights Hold Tryouts in Preparation for Kent Races--Class Boats Also Stage Brush

Fair weather and moderately calm water upstream on the Charles yesterday, ushered in an afternoon of activity for all University oarsmen, three races being completed in as many classes. The feature event was the mile and three quarters contest between crews B, C, and D on the winding course between the Arsenal Bridge and Gerry's Landing. Crew D, stroked by James Lawrence '29, swept to a clear cut victory over the other two boats, winning from crew C with a length of open water margin and from crew B by six lengths.

Crew C, with M. R. Brownell '30 rowing at a steady beat, forced the winners after the initial sprint in which Lawrence's boat gained the greater part of its lead. Crew B, paced by A. T. Gray '30 was out of the running after the first few furlongs.

The only change in the seating of the three crews was the temporary replacement of W. T. Emmet '29 by Amor Hollingsworth '30 at 5 position on crew C. Captain John Watts '28 did not row yesterday.

The class crews, A. E. F. and G fought it out for the leadership in their division in a mile dash immediately preceding the long race. Crew A had an easy time of it in this event, finishing in front of Weld Boathouse with a two length lead.

The third skirmish of the day was staged between the three 150 pound crews, stroked by James de Normandie '29, F. B. Lee '29 and N. C. Faxon '30 respectively. De Normandie's eight took the decision at the end of a mile and a quarter pull.

The 150 pound oarsmen will journey to Kent School in Connecticut during vacation, it was announced yesterday. Two crews will make the trip and are scheduled to row twice daily as well as racing two Kent School crews next Wednesday.