More New York Theatrical Offerings--"Volpone" Bodes Well--There Is Plenty of Interference at the Lyceum

Burlesque (Plymouth Theatre)

Another play of life behind the footlights; this time in the "two a day". It follows the general pattern of such plays as "Broadway" and "Excess Baggage", but still has an atmosphere of its own. In it Hall Skelley turns from musical comedy to the drama.

Voipone (Guild Theatre)

Ben Jonson's play, done by the ambitious Theatre Guild. It does not open until Monday, but in the Guild's hands and acted by Alfred Lunt, Margalo Gilmore and Dudley Digges it cannot but be a huge success.

The Royal Family (Selwyn Theatre)

All about the life of a family of actors. There are those, of course, who assume immediately that the Barrymores are the models. Well, perhaps. . . . .

Our Betters (Henry Miller's Theatre)

A revival of Somerset Maugham's biting comedy about Americans who acquire titles on the other side. Anything by Somerset Maugham is usually worth seeing, and this has Ina Claire to boot. It is placed this far down the list because, although a clever play, the essence of it is no longer as timely as when first produced.

Interference (Lyceum Theatre)

Almost a melodrama, but good at that We saw this in London last summer and can't vouch for the New York cast. The play at any rate provides a good evening's entertainment.

The Command To Love (Lengacre Theatre)

Life in the diplomatic ranks as it would be if young men and young ladies (or shall we call them women") had their way Obviously fantasy, but quite amusing nevertheless.

And So To Bed (Bijou Theatre)

Pepys and his associates exhumed and exhibited on the stage. It has had a long run and must be better than we thought it was. It has its good points and its weak ones too.

The Taming Of The Shrew (Garrick)

In modern dress. Even if you saw the Dramatic Club's effort last spring, take a chance on this, this is better. A bit overdone, but pleasant.