THE COUNCIL CIRCLE

Cambridge, which pridefully boasts on its Board of Trade welcoming sign that it leads all Massachusetts cities in industrial development--and incidentally is a world famous educational center--has yet another gem to add to its crown. Cambridge has that quality so seldom seen in cities, a conscience.

Lately "a lot of stories have been going around"--stories which have to do with graft in the City Council. That austere body, like Pooh Bah, the Lord High Everything Else, has decided that it must investigate itself and discover its own corruption or integrity as the case may be.

Unfortunately, when it actually came to business of the investigation, how was the committee to be chosen? The president of the council could not be permitted to name five men for he himself might be an offender and choose the five to his own liking. The council could not lower themselves to submitting to the questions of a body of impartial citizens. Consulting the district attorney was also out of the question. Finally the fifteen members decided to examine themselves, one after another being judged by the other fourteen. Thus will the slate be wiped clean and the honor of the city be upheld.