THE BATTLE OF SOUL SAVING

When Wilbur Glenn Voliva enthusiastically set out to prove to the world that it was flat and set upon four poles, as the Bible states, he intended to convert the thousands to his enlightened cause, not to have his chosen people converted to the cause of the thousands. Confidently he sailed to Europe with his mind stuffed full of convincing diatribes, never once considering the danger to his own well pastured sheep, safe, as he thought, in Zion City and in the confident belief in the flatness of this unbelieving world.

Once the shepherd was safely embarked on a ship paradoxically sailing round the world to Europe, like a wolf Aimee Semple McPherson descended upon the unsuspecting fold. The assistant shepherds closed the gates as well as they could, but they left some holes under the fence, and the wolf was not to be kept out. The devil in the shape of Mr. Voliva's doctrines had to be driven from the sheep before it led them hopelessly astray.

The battle between the two evangelists now promises to assume Herculean proportions. After Mr. Voliva has painfully gathered his group of faithful followers, lo, those very ones are accused, of all people in the world, of being perverted. The indignant apostle, helpless on the far side of an ocean, can only pray while the enemy makes a determined attack on his very stronghold, and of what use are new converts when the old are falling before the Amazon-like assault? It seems as if the master-believer would be forced to return to defend his hard-won following. Once in Zion City, the clash of the two forces will eclipse any struggle of such intensity as Straton versus Darwin. The McPherson-Voliva fray promises well to be the true battle of the century.