GRATEFUL APPRECIATION

Since the establishment of the Rhodes scholarships in 1904 more than six hundred graduates of American colleges have made use of them to study at Oxford. Now these alumni of the great English university are planning to show their appreciation by raising an endowment fund to be used by it for building and research purposes or, if it prove necessary in later years, to supplement the original Rhodes Fund.

One of the first to recognize the value of sending students to foreign centers of learning was Cecil Rhodes, donor of the scholarships that bear his name. They have been eulogized by editorialists, educators and politicians many times since then, but nothing could show their value more plainly than this tribute from the men who have been helped by them. In the comparatively few years that have elapsed since their stay at the university, many of them have risen to prominence in their fields of activity, and even without material results to show for it there can be no question that the cultural worth of such an institution is invaluable. Convincing evidence of this is the fact that the men benefited realize its values so well, and nothing could be more fitting than that they insure its perpetuation.