CLOSE MEET EXPECTED BETWEEN CRIMSON AND YALE FRESHMAN TEAMS

UNIVERSITY FIRST YEAR MEN MAY UPSET DOPE

The track meet between the Freshman teams of Harvard and Yale which is scheduled to take place in the Stadium on Saturday promises to provide some of the closest competition of the season. The Crimson 1931 aggregation, considered very weak at the beginning of the season, has been progressing rapidly during the past two weeks, and looms up at present as one of the strongest first year outfits that Coach E. L. Farrell has ever produced.

Pre-meet prognostications give the Eli a decided advantage, but the Crimson runners, led by Captain Vernon Munroe '31, feel confident that they have a, change of upsetting all predictions and capturing the first Freshman meet in years.

Yale Has Edge

Judging by their respective performances in last Saturday's meets, the Blue with Princeton and the Crimson with Exeter, Yale has an edge of three first places over Harvard, but the opponents of the Blue were undoubtedly stronger and forced the better records.

In the dashes, MacDonald and Griffin of Yale appear to be the strongest men, with A. L. Watkins '31, W. C. Rowe '31, and Munroe upholding the Crimson. The hurdle events have a decidedly blue tinge, but the Freshmen appear to have the best of the long distance runs to even up matters.

The result of the meet rests largely on the ability of the Crimson field men to come through with seconds and thirds to keep the Eli stars from piling up too large a lead. If P. N. Vonckx '31 in the hammer, V. M. Harding '31 in the high javelin, R. W. Fulton '31 in the high jump, H. P. Nichols '31 in the shot put, and P. M. Sweezy '31 in the discus all come through with the performance of which they are capable, the Crimson will be in the running throughout and may provide a surprising upset.