NEW POLE VAULT MARK MAY BE SET SATURDAY

EDMONDS CONSIDERED THE BEST POTENTIAL VAULTER

Three pole vaulters who are expected to force the bar above the present world record are entered in the fifty-second annual I. C. 4 A. Track and Field Championships in the Stadium this weekend. Lee Barnes of the University, of Southern California holds the record at 14 feet one and one-half inches. Sabin Carr, Yale captain, is close behind this mark with his former world record of 14 feet. Ward Edmonds of Stanford University took third in the Interscholastics last year when he was a sophomore, and has since developed into a strong potential rival for first honors.

With these men competing the pole vault promises to be the outstanding event of the meet. Although Barnes and Carr have both done 14 feet or better, and Edmonds has reached 13 feet six inches, none of the men has shown signs of reaching his limit. When Barnes set his present record on April 28, in a West coast meet, he cleared the bar with six inches to spare, as shown by slow motion pictures of the leap. Curr's form is not yet perfected, and for this reason his present performance is not regarded as final.

Edmonds is not only the least developed of the three vaulters, but according to experts will eventually be a better vaulter than either Barnes or Carr. He is taller than the other men, and is expected to vault well over 14 feet when fully developed.