SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY

At the name of Harvard Lowella used to shudder, sometimes at the same time drawing the ermine wrap about her slim young shoulders, just to prove she knew her Katherine Brush. And never were her sensibilities so ravished as when she walked through the Yard at noon. Now all that will be changed. For, though the world of Beacon Hill laughed, and some of those who knew seem to have pitied, recognition of the Cabot pleadings has come at last.

The shoddy shoes she hated, the unmatching coat and trousers that she detested, the vests she abhorred and the hats she longed to burn--all these will soon be gone. Though Harvard be ungallant as a whole, there lives still a certain saving quality that may yet redeem many sartorial barbarisms.

For the next three days Lowella may walk in a Yard that will, saving only one building, be purged of all offense. And by the end of the week she may walk even in that building without unhappiness, for by then the offensively uncollegiate garments should be in the slums. Last year they were sent to the flood victims, but the arrival of uncollegiate clothing in New Hampshire was was looked upon as an impertinence in some of the better refugee circles. And however prejudiced the poor may be, Phillips Brooks House can still do the Christian thing by the rich. Lowella may go her old way, and sin no more.