COACH FARRELL TALKS OF I. C. 4 A. PROSPECTS

ROSS OF YALE PICKED FOR SURE QUARTER MILE SCORER

A discussion of the prospects in the middle distance events of the coming I. C. A. A. A. A. track meet was termed by Coach E. L. Farrell of the University track team as an extremely difficult task, when approached on the subject by a CRIMSON reporter yesterday afternoon.

"I can't possibly tell you all the good prospects for the 440 and 880," he told the reporter. "There are so many little known men from the West Coast and even right here in the East who are very likely to upset all predictions that it makes the task a hard one.

"I can, of course, tell you what men in my opinion should do well on their past records. In the 440, there is, above all, Yale's flash Launcelot Ross who won the quarter against Pennsylvania in 48 seconds, for a new Yale record. When a man gets down to 48 seconds, he can't be left out of any dope sheet no matter what the meet may be. Other good men seem to be Engle, a Yale sophomore, and the trio who raced each other last Saturday in the Dartmouth, Colgate, Syracuse meet. I mean Barbuti, of Syracuse. Swope of Dartmouth, and Roll of Colgate. All were in the finals of last year's Intercollegiates and all are fast men."

"What about Emerson Spencer of Leland Stanford?", the reporter asked.

"Well, he's good on the West Coast," Coach Farrell replied, "but middle distance runners never stand the transcontinental trip very well, and I should be surprised to see him win anything.

"In the half mile. Phil Edwards, the New York University negro, looks like the class of the field to me. I don't see how any collegiate runner can beat him. Barbuti of Syracuse again, Hogan of Yale. Pearson of Pennsylvania, Adams and Wakeley of Bates, and O'Neil and Porter of Harvard, are all going to give a good account of themselves in the finals of the half. The other places seem to be a toss-up."