GIVE HIM A BOOK

The athlete, undefended from the time of the post-football lull in news, when for services rendered he was analyzed and damned by a score of professors, has now the last fellow in misery that he would want--the Phi Beta Kappa Man. For Mr. Thomas Slocum, writing in the current issue of the Advocate, has reduced the key man--who has been pretty triumphant lately, what with Dean's prizes and English literature sweepstakes, and all--to the low estate of the athlete. The unfortunate fact is that to attack either is the very height of unsportsmanlike penplay, for both are recumbent antagonists. Under the sufficient title "Fools Trespass Where Angeles Keep Off the Grass" Mr. Slocum has chosen to defend the outside activity from the snares of scholarship, as symbolized in the man who, according to him, never wears a wristwatch.

"It is the duty of the college to make good citizens. To achieve this end, something besides study of books is required," he concludes.

This last generality, fond and frequent bon mot at parting of many parents; has often served to bring home their son earlier than they ever dreamed, Recognition of one truth is looking more and more at Harvard: that no single outside activity, athletics included, will so surely build a good citizen as conscientious application to college study. In the days when this idea bore the brand of propaganda it was quite properly abhorred, but recently it has achieved a renascence that seems unthreatened by even the ignorance of the familiar playboy. Mr. Slocum is carried on the wings of Pegasus not merely straight into the face of fortune, but also into that of undergraduate conviction.