STUDENTS AT P.B.H. SCORE U. S. IMMIGRATION POLICY

Council Offers No Restriction But All Are Outspoken -- Graduate Worker Outlines Policy

A searching discussion of the principles of the United States immigration policy took place at the third meeting of the International Council held in the Phillips Brooks House last night. J. R. Swift '22, a member of the Executive Committee of the Immigration Restriction League, outlined briefly the present U. S. policy and the reasons for its existence.

The objects of immigration restriction in this country, he brief stated as in the interest of acquiring homogeneity, like-mindedness in political affairs. In considering the economic aspects of the immigration restriction, he pointed out that altho ten years ago, employers and labor potentates were crying out for unrestricted immigration and cheap labor, now the situation is reversed and the employer, realizing that cheap labor is a liability rather than an asset, particularly in view of the increased efficiency of production of machinery, now demands excessive restriction of immigration.

These remarks evoked a storm of criticism from the foreign students gathered at the meeting, and the speaker was met on all of his arguments. It was argued that the present trend of materialism has concentrated its efforts for the benefit of the people now on the spot, a position diametrically opposed to that with which the country was established and settled.