Undergraduates Celebrate Second Consecutive Virtual Housing Day

Dean of Students Office Discusses Housing Day, Anti-Racism Goals

Renowned Cardiologist and Nobel Peace Prize Winner Bernard Lown Dies at 99

Native American Nonprofit Accuses Harvard of Violating Federal Graves Protection and Repatriation Act

U.S. Reps Assess Biden’s Progress on Immigration at HKS Event

CHANGING DAYS

Julius Caesar gave to the world his version of a calendar; Gregory emended it and attached to it his name; now the United States Congress, not desiring to be outdone, intends also to have a finger in the pie.

Many consider the newly proposed calendar a needlessly confused system. To speak of thirteen months, no one of which has more than twenty-eight days, would seem to be "a most ingenious parodox." Children need no longer waste their idle kindergarten hours learning that "thirty days hath September--" or that leap year comes only once in four. This would mean a simplified education in perfect harmony with the modern tendency among older people to master the French language in a dozen lessons from a correspondence school.

The superstitious, however, would not have a happy lot; they would find little relief from constant anxiety. Imagine the thirteenth day of all thirteen months landing on Friday. Then again, this new calendar may serve as a valuable antidote: if those who now entertain grave apprehensions regarding the number thirteen are still able to enjoy life under the proposed system, the time is at hand when two-dollar bills will no longer be scoffed at, and one match will suffice to light three cigarettes.