CABOT, LEWIS, ELLIOTT GIVEN SABBATICALS

ALL THREE PLAN TO STUDY AND WRITE DURING LEAVE

Three members of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Dr. R. C. Cabot '89, Associate Professor C. I. Lewis '05, and Assistant Professor W. Y. Elliott will be absent from the University during the academic year 1929-1930, it was announced yesterday by University officials.

Dr. Cabot, Chairman of the Department of Social Ethics plans to utilize his leave of absence in writing a book on ethics, the title for which he has tentatively selected as "Applied Ethics". Dr. James Ford of the board of tutors in the Division of Philosophy will serve as Chairman of the Department of Social Ethics in Dr. Cabot's absence. Dr. P. J. W. Pigors will give Dr. Cabot's courses next year.

Associate Professor Lewis, Chairman of the Division of Philosophy will be on sabbatical leave during the coming year. Professor Lewis last night declared that he planned to remain in Cambridge, devoting his time to research work and writing in philosophy. No acting head of the department has yet been named.

Assistant Professor W. Y. Elliott, of the Department of Government outlined de- tailed plans for the use he intends to make of his leave of absence from the University. Working under the Harvard Bureau of International Research, Professor Elliott will make an intensive study of the topic of "International significance of the new status of British Dominions since the World War", stressing in particular the diplomatic and consular services of Great Britain and the Dominions. Professor Elliott will begin his work immediately after the closing of college in June, sailing at once for England. His research will take him into England, Switzerland, Canada, and possibly Egypt and Palestine. The work will take 15 months, ending in September 1930