TIMES CURRENT EVENTS CONTEST IS NEXT MONTH

Dr. J. F. Sly Describes Test Open to All Undergraduates--$250, $500 Prizes Are Offered

The following article concerning the annual New York Times Current Events Contest was written for the Crimson by Dr. J. F. Sly Ph.D. '26, of the Department of Government.

The annual New York Times Current Events Contest will be held on Friday, February 15, at an hour and place to be arranged. It is open to any undergraduate student of Harvard University, the winner to receive a medal and a cash prize of $250. The paper obtaining the highest rank will be submitted in an intercollegiate contest of 20 colleges to compete for an additional prize of $500.

The extent of the news to be covered will be from June 1, 1928 to the date of the examination, and the type of examination will be similar to those of previous years. Tentative arrangements provide sets of true-false questions and identity questions to be answered in one hour, and a group of short summaries in "editorial style" not exceeding some 250 words each on eight or ten questions to be selected from a designated list and to be written in two hours. The latter arrangement is intended to replace the "essay topics" that have formed part of previous examinations.

The questions of last year were in general as follows:

A. Identify definitely, but briefly, each of the following: 1. Jose Maria Moncada; 2. Chiang-Kai-Shek; 3. John Roach Straton; 4. M. Bleriot; 5. Frank R. McCoy; 6. Henri Wilhelm Deterding; 7. Alvan T. Fuller, etc.

B. Write briefly answers to the following questions--answers should not be longer than 40 words:

1. What has been the Chinese policy of the United States during the recent Chinese troubles?

2. What controversy ensued between the United States and Panama at the Pan-American economic conference?

3. Why was the proposed Loree rail-road merger in the southwest disapproved by the Interstate Commerce Commission?

4. What was the immediate cause of the severance of relations between Great Britain and Russia in May, 1927? etc.

C. All candidates will write upon the subject listed below:

The New Position of the United States and the Responsibilities Resulting Therefrom.

Candidates may choose any one of the following subjects:

Italy, the Danger Point in Europe, Germany's Finances and the Dawes Plan, Restriction of Production and Marketing in Essential Industries, The English Prayer Book Controversy, American Intervention in Nicaragua.

No special preparation in the nature of courses is required nor is any registration necessary. The contest is open to all men in any branch of the University who have an interest in the news, and it is only necessary to appear at the designated hour and place (to be arranged) to take the examination. Complete announcement (including last year's questions) is posted in the Bureau for Municipal Research (Widener O) and in the office of the CRIMSON. Additional information that may be desired can be ecured through inquiry at the desk in Widener O