Appeal for New Gym is Quarter Century Old, 1904 Crimson Letter Shows--Cry Raised in Franklin D. Roosevelt's Era

That the University authorities are not exaggerating when they state in their appeals for funds for the new gymnasium that Harvard has outgrown Hemenway, seems borne out by the following letter found in the CRIMSON of January 25, 1904. Nearly everything that the writer sets forth in this letter written 25 years ago is applicable to the present situation.

". . . . No less is the gymnasium during the winter months an important part in the life of the student than is Soldiers Field in the spring and autumn of the year. . . . The demands upon Hemenway Gymnasium, built many years ago, have grown to such proportions that it seems to me not an unreasonable suggestion to intended benefactors to remember that here is a real need.

"Obviously Harvard has outgrown the meagre quarters of our gymnasium. . . . The time has come. I believe, when Harvard herself should take in this matter a step consistent with her general progress."

Franklin D. Roosevelt '04, Governor of New York and Alumni Marshal for this year's commencement, was President of the CRIMSON during the year in which the above letter was published. Commenting editorially in the issue containing the letter, the CRIMSON states:

"What 'the graduate' who wrote the letter states may be all very true. . . . Harvard does need a new gymnasium, and she needs a library and a host of other things; Harvard has not enough money to take proper care of the buildings she now has. . . . Harvard has no fairy godmother to slip round millions into her hands every other month. Yet in spite of this she seems to get on pretty well, staying near the head of the procession for the past three hundred years. . . . Whenever Harvard needed anything in the years gone by, a friend has always been found in the end. . . . We do not expect a new gymnasium for some time to come, but it is at least right to give people a chance; to let our graduates and friends see that Harvard has depended and will always depend upon them."