"WOODMAN, SPARE--"

In presenting to the University authorities its suggestion and plan for a new and second Yard, the Student Council must have recognized the fact that the flexibility of the proposition was its greatest recommendation. Its purpose is probably less to bring about the execution of details than to establish the practicability of a cloistered area below Mount Auburn Street. The interpretation of the report in a narrow sense would make the Council appear presumptuous; its interpretation as a basic principle on which to construct the new unit allows a remarkable freedom with the ultimate accomplishment of the desired end.

The underlying object of the Report is evidently a second Yard. In order to strengthen then this idea the Council advanced a plan of its own for the new building program. But this could only be a corollary to the project of the Yard, and as long as the new Houses are not arranged so as to disrupt the area entirely as an entity the undergraduate plea will be answered. If the idea behind the whole House plan prevents a symmetrical arrangement and a harmonious architecture, there is no definite reason why one unit should stare placidly across a vista at its exact reproduction. As long as the site favor a development which lacks the crowded discord of mushroom growth, anything short of futuristic pattern for the buildings and their relation to each other might be employed.

One of the most obvious obstacles to the plan is the difference in the space between Mount Auburn Street and the Freshman Halls and the Stretch between Dunster and DeWolf Streets. The much greater length than breadth of the section is a serious problem especially as regards the more-crowded western side of the proposed rectangular Yard. Any adjustment, however, which would save the empty plot behind Gore would establish a basic formula for future progress, rapid or leisurely, toward a Yard of insured openness.