STAND QUESTION REVIVED TONIGHT

Permanent or Temporary Steel Stands, Concrete Bowl, Suggested--Sketches Submitted by Architects

The Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports will make every effort to arrive at a conclusion regarding the question of the stands to fill the end of the Stadium when it convenes tonight, according to a statement made last night by W. J. Bingham '16, director of athletics. This problem, which has been a vexing one for the past few years, must be decided this spring if the Stadium is to hold the accustomed number of people during the 1929 football season, for the permission to build temporary wooden stands, which have supplied seats for the last few years, has been refused for the future by the City of Boston.

Mr. Bingham outlined the proposals which will be considered tonight and recalled that the recommendation of the Athletic Committee, made last year, to enlarge the Stadium to a capacity of 80,000 was rejected by the Corporation, which expressed the opinion that there should be no increase in the seating capacity. The Class of 1879, donor of the Stadium, has expressed a desire not to have the Stadium altered permanently. Therefore Mr. Bingham believes that there are three possible solutions, each of temporary or semi-permanent nature.

The first proposal is to construct a concrete stand in the open end, of the same architectural design as the original structure. The Class of 1879 has not definitely stated whether this would be regarded as an alteration but has expressed agreement to the remaining two proposals.

One of these is to build removable steel stands which could be taken down after the football season is over. This system, according to Mr. Bingham, is in use at present at the athletic field of the University of Chicago where the temporary stands seat 30,000 people and are taken down when not needed.

The third plan is to erect permanent steel stands which would be left standing during the entire year. The architectural firm of Coolidge, Shepley, Bullfinch, and Abbot has prepared a set of drawings illustrating each plan, which will be consulted at the meeting.