PERRY RESENTS BAN ON O'NEILL'S DRAMA

Disagrees With Petitioners That Play Has Cultural Value--500 Students and 50 of Faculty Protest Ban

Ralph Barton Perry, professor of Philosophy, when queried as to his position with relation to the recent ban placed on "Strange Interlude" in Boston, made the following statement to a CRIMSON reporter:

"I read the `Strange Interlude' some time ago, but have never seen it played. I do not know therefore whether it is a good play or not. What I should like is the liberty to make up my mind for myself. Whether I like it or not, I am prepared to promise, that I will not seek to force my opinion on anyone else. What I resent is the attempt of a handful of officials to dictate the tastes and artistic judgment of the whole community."

One of Fifty

Professor Perry was one of the 50 members of the Harvard faculty who signed the petition protesting the Boston ban and indorsing the presentation of the Eugene O'Neill play in Quincy. In addition to the faculty members, about 500 graduates and undergraduates of the University signed.

John Livingston Lowes '03, professor of English, signed the petition and later withdrew his name. He declared he wished to make his protest in some other manner as he did not agree with the petitioners that the play has cultural value.

Signers Announced

The following are the faculty members who signed:

F. C. Packard, Jr., W. E. Hocking '01, Ralph Barton Perry, A. M. Schlesinger, A. T. Davison '06, Joseph Redlich, B. F. Wright, Jr. '22, G. D. Birkhoff '04, E. L. Chaffee '11, A. N. Holcombe, C. J. Frederick, Andre Morize, George Sarton, J. D. Black, L. O. Cummings '09, Leo Weiner, E. S. Mason, Edward Ballantine '04, Mason Hammond '25, Zechariah Chafee, Jr., J. J. Ryan '21, Langdon Warner '03, J. A. McLaughlin, H. W. Brinkman '24, C. R. Spruill, W. D. Templeton, F. D. Scott, M. W. Royse, P. W. Gates, J. A. Ross, F. W. McVeagh '21, J. J. Glessner '25, Jeffries Wyman, Jr. '23, W. C. Heilman '00, G. B. Baker, Jr. '25, H. Brown, P. S. Bauer '26, E. S. Robinson, S. H. Harris, E. P. Herring, T. H. Werner, C. L. Bickle, W. E. Sedgwick '22, Allan Evans '24, S. I. Stone '24, C. L. Bennet, E. R. James, E. J. Simmons '25, Bernard De Voto '18, and F. O. Matthiessen.