ACCURATE AERIAL ATTACK SNATCHES GAME FROM ARMY

Slippery Cadet Captain Scores Three Touchdowns--No Injuries Reported After Bruising Battle

The age-old wish of "may the best team win" was fulfilled Saturday afternoon, for the 20 to 20 score accurately indicates the margin of supremacy which separates the Harvard and Army football teams. With a record-breaking crowd jammed into every available inch of space within the Stadium, the Crimson and West Point elevens battled to a standstill in a spectacular, savagely-fought clash.

It was Harvard's forward passing game which sent it into a 13 to 0 lead in the first half and then snatched almost certain victory from the powerful Cagle-led combination. Pregame reports indicated that the Army line was weak, but the Gold forwards outrushed the Crimson wall, bottling up the University running plays time and again. With six men in the line and two men backing it up closely, the West Pointers smashed the heralded Harvard laterals, but it was the threat of this play which made the Crimson aerials go. Twelve forwards were hurled and seven were completed for a total gain of 168 yards. Not for several years has a Harvard football team exhibited such accuracy in this department as was shown by Putnam and Wood, on the throwing end, and O'Connell and Harding, the receivers.

Two Backfields Equal

The climatic struggle revealed that Coach Horween has welded together two backfields of equal power. Harvard's offensive can be maintained at high speed with Wood, Devens, Mays and Potter ready to relieve the starting ball carriers. Wood was outstanding in his role of cool and capable passer, heady signal caller, and unerring dropkicker. Devens and Mays were serious running threats to the Army while Potter's interfering and defensive work were sound. White, who substituted for the injured Harper, proved to be a valuable player.

Cagle was the main spring of the Army's startling second-half risorgimento. His amazing slipperiness and strong running carried him over the last Harvard line three times during the afternoon and never could one feel that he would not break loose again. During the first half, the Crimson ends forced him in and the aggressive line dropped him in his tracks, but the meteoric Cadet captain could not be denied once he got under way.

The Crimson ends turned in a performance which was decidedly encouraging. Down the field under punts or passes, they were always alert and on the spot. Incipient West Point run backs were cut short by the knife-like tackles of the Crimson-jerseyed wingmen.

No Harvard players were reported on the injury list after the game, but several men will undoubtedly report today with bumps unnoticed after the bruising contest.

This week's workouts will most probably be devoted to the development of a well-coordinated line. The Crimson forward wall, with Barrett and W. Ticknor shifting on offense and defense, has plenty of power, but lacked a unified drive. Experience of infinite value was earned in Saturday's game. The team gained some realization of its full potentialities which should be displayed to advantage when the powerful Dartmouth eleven invades Soldiers Field at the end of the week.

The summary:

HARVARD  ARMYOgden, Harding, l.e.  r.e., Messinger, MalloyW. Ticknor, Upton, l.t.  r.t., Perry, SpenglerTrainer, Newhart, l.g.  r.g., Hillsinger, PriceB. Ticknor, Gildea, c.  c., Lazar, MillerBarrett, Talbot, r.g.  l.g., Humber, SuarezDavis, Kuehn, r.t.  l.t., Price, ParhamO'Connell, Burns, r.e.  l.e., Carlmark, KennyPutnam, Wood, q.b.  q.b., Bowman, Gibner, BellGilligan, Mason, Mays, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Cagle, HutchinsonHuguley, Devens, Batchelder, r.h.b.  l.h.b., O'Keefe, Piper, GlattleyWhite, Potter, f.b.  f.b., Murrel, Gree