COGGESHALL RALLIES TO TAKE TOURNAMENT

BRYAN IN FINALS AFTER VICTORY OVER VINCENT

The finals of the fall tennis tournament in the class A singles were settled yesterday afternoon when Harris Coggeshall 1L. seeded number one, and fourteenth National ranking player, defeated R. S. Murphy '33, seeded number four and former National junior champion, in five sets, 4-6, 6-4, 4-6, 6-0, 6-4.

The match was brilliantly played, and the gallery was treated to long rallies with expert playing on both sides. It was only after the hardest battle that Coggeshall, veteran of numerous tournaments, was able to subdue the Freshman, who gave fierce battle throughout, and was even leading two sets to one, at one point in the match. In the fourth set, however, Coggeshall rallied, and took the set at love. In the final set, the score was again 6-4, the victor finally overcoming his less experienced opponent.

During the tournament, Coggeshall also defeated S. O. Paul '32, 6-1, 6-1; C. E. Pickhardt '31, 6-0, 7-5; H. R. Woodard '33, 6-2, 6-3; R. S. Winslow '30, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5; J. L. Ware '30, seeded number five, 6-2, 6-4; and W. L. Breese '31, seeded number three, 6-4, 6-4.

In class B. Kirke Bryan 1L defeated H. P. Vincent 3G in three sets, 6-1, 2-6, 6-4. Before gaining the final bracket, Bryan overcame W. H. Fort, Jr. '30, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2; F. M. Watkins '30, 6-4, 8-6; J. B. Walker '33, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3; R. M. Brown '33, 6-2, 6-0; and J. B. Applebaum '32, 8-6, 6-0.

The doubles tournament is slowly reaching its final rounds, as the closing matches are being played. It is hoped that the entrants will arrange to play their matches as soon as possible while the good weather lasts.