COUNCIL WILL PICK MEN FOR DEBATING TEAMS

CENSORSHIP TO BE DISCUSSED IN TRIALS TOMORROW

The debating season will get under way tomorrow night when the officials of the Harvard Debating Council call together prospective candidates in a place to be announced. All speakers who intend to try out for the team will come to the meeting prepared to give a five-minute talk on either side of the question of censorship, in any one of its numerous aspects.

Try New Method

A different method of choosing the team will be in force this year. Where-as, in the past, teams have chosen for each debate, this year three groups will be chosen at the beginning of the half year, which will comprise the University squad. They will oppose each other before each contest to determine the best team for that particular debate. Any person not placed on one of the three teams will be advised to take further speaking training, and will be given an opportunity to move up be a series of challenge debated with other members of the teams. In this way it is hoped to set up a competitive machine which will force the Council teams to a higher standard than they have hitherto maintained.

The first debate of the year will be with the New Jersey Law School at Newark, New Jersey, on Friday, November 8, the week-end of the Michigan game. The team will leave Cambridge on Friday, debate that evening, spend the next day in New York City, and return by boat on Sunday night. All expenses of team members will be paid.

The subject wording for this event has not yet been decided, but it will be some phase of the topic of disarmament.

Split Teams Debate

The system of debating will be that of split teams. Two men from Harvard debate with two men from New Jersey Law School as the affirmative team, and two Harvard men debate with two others as the negative team.

The council is looking forward to a very successful season. It will make a trip to the South and middle West during the Spring vacation, and negotiations are under way looking towards a third trip to Canada.