FARRELL HONORED AT H. A. A. DINNER

Track Mentor Helped Stricken Man When Illness Forced Return From Amsterdam Olympics

Edward L. Farrell, University track coach, last night was awarded a medal in recognition of his faithful care of William F. (Pooch) Donovan, veteran Harvard trainer, who was forced by sickness to return to the United States immediately after his arrival in Amsterdam for the 1928 Olympics.

The award came at the annual H. A. A. dinner held at the Harvard Union for the coaches, the Administrative Board, and the Assistant Deans, W. J. Bingham '16. Director of Athletics, presented the medal, a bronze disk bearing on one surface an inscription, in Greek, composed by E. K. Rand '94, professor of Latin, meaning "athletics is the body's harmony". The obverse side carries the lines:

"In grateful recognition of your brotherly care of William F. Donovan, which exemplifies your whole-hearted services to Harvard Athletics", and the name of the coach.

Inscription Fitting

The Harvard trainer was not in good health while going over to Amsterdam with the American Olympic team in 1928, and after he landed his condition became serious. Forced by his illness, a heart affection, to retire from his duties with the Olympic team in Europe, he started back to this country, accompanied by Coach Farrell.

It was due to the unceasing efforts of Farrell that the veteran trainer was kept alive while en route to the United States, and when the liner docked in New York he was rushed by motor ambulance to Boston, where he died soon after his return.